Work from home might be imposed on most of us due to the lockdown, but it is becoming apparent that at least for some of us, this new reality would be staying even beyond the lockdown. Bad posture during long working hours is resulting in many professionals having neck pain.
No neck pain treatment is complete without neck exercises. Neck exercises are categorized under two main categories of exercises that are stretching and strengthening exercises.
So here are some exercises that you can try
Neck Rotation Exercise
- Stand or sit straight looking in the forward direction.
- Now rotate your neck in the clockwise direction. Complete 10 rounds.
- Do the same in an anti-clockwise direction 10 times.
- Step 2 and step 3 combinedly make one 1 set.
- Complete 3-4 sets
Caution: Don’t move your neck with a jerk. It can cause issues.
Neck Side Bend Exercise
- Tilt your head to the right, bringing your ear close to the shoulder. You may use your hand to pull your head farther into the stretch.
- Hold this position for 20 seconds.
- Bring your head back to the center, and then tilt it to the left, again holding 20 seconds.
- Complete 3-4 sets
Neck Extension Exercise
- Sit, lie or stand on the floor with both your arms stretched down by your side
- Push both shoulders down and Tuck the chin into the chest.
- Extend the head back slightly while elevating the chin to the ceiling, still keeping the arms down and back
- Hold that position for 15 seconds then rest for 30 seconds.
- Repeat the exercise 7-8 times.
Chin Tuck Exercise
- Sit Straight and place your fingers on your chin.
- Keep your eyes on the horizon, gently push your chin back toward your throat until you feel a stretch at the base of your head.
- Hold this position for 5 seconds
- Bring your chin forward again.
- Repeat this exercise for 7-8 times.
Neck Glide Exercise
- Sit straight and slowly slide your chin forward.
- Hold the position for 5 seconds.
- Return to starting position.
- Repeat the exercise 10 times.
Neck Release Stretching
- Sit straight in a cross-legged position
- Support your head with both of your hands
- Apply gentle pressure with your hand to increase the stretch
- Hold the position for 30 seconds
- Then slowly lift your head up and release your hands
- Take rest of 20 seconds then repeat
- Repeat the process for 5-6 times
Back Neck Stretching
- Stand with your legs parallel and hip-distance apart
- Now, reach both hands behind your back and hold your left wrist with your right hand. Here, you also need to straighten your left hand by gently pulling it away from yourself.
- To increase the stretch in your neck, slowly tilt your head towards your right shoulder.
- Stay in the position for 30 seconds and repeat the same on the other side.
- Repeat this 7-8 times
Every one of us is different, and your specific neck condition may require unique exercises that are different from the ones in this program. If you feel that these exercises are not helping you out then immediately consult your doctor. But in general, if you are feeling tightness in your neck, you should try these exercises to help improve your overall flexibility and neck mobility.
Along with these exercises following the changes in your lifestyle can help you to get rid of this neck pain
- Choose good sitting postures.
- Correct your sleeping posture.
- Ditch your phone before going to bed.
- Remove pillows or match their height with your sleeping position.
If you liked our article, do let us know in the comment section below!